WTI Student Forum's
WTI Student Forum's
WTI Student Forum's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WTI Student Forum's

Welcome to the WTI Students forum! Here we can ask each other questions about homework, post key points to study, talk about something that happened at school, or just random conversation. Its up to you!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How do you know if....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HacidicEnforcer
WTI Regular
WTI Regular
HacidicEnforcer

Number of posts : 128
Field : I.T.
Registration date : 2009-01-04

How do you know if.... Empty
PostSubject: How do you know if....   How do you know if.... EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Is this property subject to property tax and have any applicable ad valorem property taxes been levied in full for this year for this property?

I live in an apartment and am trying to file my taxes. How am I supposed to know this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hacidicenforcer
straboh
WTI Nub
WTI Nub
straboh

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if....   How do you know if.... EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Call your landlord or the office where you live, explain the situation and the fact that you need to know for tax purposes and they should be able to help you out, or deal with the IRS over the phone. In addition, you should be able to just call H&R Block and they are usualy nice enough to tell you how to answer tax questions on the forms. They are typically very helpful even if you are not using their service to file.

The phrase "Ad Valorem" is Latin for "according to value". By definition, an Ad Valorem tax is levied by the local government at the municipal or county level and is assessed to a property by multiplying the current tax rate by the assessed value or " fair market value " of a given property by a county tax assessor. Property ad valorem taxes are the major source of revenue for state and municipal governments and help to finance the building and maintenance of public schools, construction and street repairs, waste management and many other major needs of a municipality.

Now, as a renter, ( and if your complex is subject to the tax ) the complex that you live in may help to pay for this tax anually by adding it to your rent so that they are not slammed with it at the end of the physical year. If your complex does this, it may be legal here in Kansas as renters are often liable for a portion of the levied tax according to the tax laws in many but not all states.

I would assume that your complex is up to date and current on thier taxes ( one would hope anyway ) but I guarantee you that even if they are not, they will tell you that they are. BUT whether they are truthful or not is on them and not you. You are not responsible for what they do with the cash after it leaves your hand as a renter even if you do contribute to this tax.

I am rambling so, in closing, call your Complex Office, the IRS or a tax prep service and ask them how you should answer that particular question. Always make sure that you cover your backside, because I guarantee there is SOMEONE out there just itchin to kick it. Expecially the I.R.S.
Back to top Go down
http://revtommyrogers.tripod.com/
HacidicEnforcer
WTI Regular
WTI Regular
HacidicEnforcer

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if....   How do you know if.... EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 3:12 pm

Thank you!

Wow, did you google it or are you naturally that geeked out? Razz Razz Razz Razz

See you in class!
Back to top Go down
HacidicEnforcer
WTI Regular
WTI Regular
HacidicEnforcer

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if....   How do you know if.... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:43 pm

Sweet!

Just filed both Federal and State taxes and will hopefully be getting my refund in 8-15 days which means I can pay another 6 months of rent so I can stay in school for another 6 months without that stressor on my back.

Ok, now to buckle down and focus so I can do this thing!

Anyone else file their taxes yet?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if....   How do you know if.... Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you know if....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WTI Student Forum's :: Controlled Chaos :: General Chit Chat-
Jump to: