WTI Student Forum's
WTI Student Forum's
WTI Student Forum's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WTI Student Forum's

Welcome to the WTI Students forum! Here we can ask each other questions about homework, post key points to study, talk about something that happened at school, or just random conversation. Its up to you!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A week in...

Go down 
+4
straboh
Jlong
HacidicEnforcer
skarekr0
8 posters
AuthorMessage
skarekr0
Admin
Admin
skarekr0

Number of posts : 242
Field : I.T.
Registration date : 2008-12-09

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: A week in...   A week in... EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 1:22 pm

Here is my thoughts on Gullick's class so far.

Personally, I like Gullick, Obviously, I like my classmates and i'm enjoying the material... However, I dislike the atmosphere in Gullick's class and I can't tell if it's because everybody's scared to enjoy themselves or what it is, but so far this class hasn't necesarrilly been enjoyable. It's too quiet and it's pretty much all "business".
I don't know about anybody else, but I have a hard time being dedicated when i'm not enjoying myself. I can understand keeping our mouth's shut during lecture or the important shit, but when it comes to things like "free time" where we are doing lab sims or the like, we should be permitted to enjoy ourselves a little bit while doing our work.
Perhaps as time progresses, everybody relaxes and gets a little more comfortable things will liven up a little.

On a more positive note, I am enjoying the labs, I can definitely appreciate the hand in's and Gullick is a very "intertesting" instructor (in a good way of course).

Anybody else's thoughts?
Back to top Go down
HacidicEnforcer
WTI Regular
WTI Regular
HacidicEnforcer

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2009-01-04

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 1:32 pm

I will hopefully be seeing you tonight.

I just got out of a meeting with Mr. Guilick.

He is a nice man, I just think Mr. Padgett used too many scare tactics and now everyone is afraid of Mr. Guilick like we were of Mr. Rosas.

But aslo, now we are getting down to the nitty-gritty, sweetie, and the classes are going to get more serious anyway.

Give it time, okay?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hacidicenforcer
skarekr0
Admin
Admin
skarekr0

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 1:49 pm

HacidicEnforcer wrote:
I will hopefully be seeing you tonight.

I just got out of a meeting with Mr. Guilick.

He is a nice man, I just think Mr. Padgett used too many scare tactics and now everyone is afraid of Mr. Guilick like we were of Mr. Rosas.

But aslo, now we are getting down to the nitty-gritty, sweetie, and the classes are going to get more serious anyway.

Give it time, okay?

I agree, Mr.Gullick's a great guy, he has an "odd" sense of humour and personallity and I think that it intimidates people... not because of Gullick himself, but because they don't know how to take him.
I don't mind seriousness at all, especially where it matters, but it shouldn't be serious all of the time, Which luckily, Gullick tends to lighten the mood, unfortunantly, he seems to be the only one doing so.
I will give it time, I can't expect too much within the first week, everyone's still adjusting and trying to feel everyone else out and im sure it doesn't help with the size of the class.
Back to top Go down
Jlong
Admin
Admin
Jlong

Number of posts : 228

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 2:29 pm

Do what i did. I joined some of the other class in Call of Duty 4 during breaks and that improved the atmosphere alot in my area.
Back to top Go down
https://wtistudents1.forumotion.com
straboh
WTI Nub
WTI Nub
straboh

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-12-10

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 4:11 pm

I think he has the rep he has because of his military background. Most people who serve get out of the "lifestyle" of the way things were when they were enilsted, but if you are in for a long period of time and in a command role it tends to stick with you for longer. He was a Drill Sgt. I believe??? US Army also, I believe, which means he was at least an E-6 when he decided to ETS. In many cases the way you present yourself and your actions and manorisms stay with you long after your enlistment ends. I know because it took me over 2 years before I could stand in a line at the bank or a wal-mart checkout without standing at attention or parade-rest. And still to this day I have no problem what so ever being thrown into a situation where I am in charge and supervising a group of people.

Fun is fun, sure, but as we go through these classes they are supposed to get less " fun " to a degree as we are supposed to be evolving as IT professional personel and taking the cirriculum a little more seriously. These classes make a huge difference between making $ 12,000 a year valu-sizing a combo meal, and starting out at $ 80,000 a year plus at a good company or even starting your own buisness. I personally plan to at least try to go to work for myself and start my own small computer service/repair buisness. I hate punching someone elses clock for a living.

Long story short, he does not intimidate me in the slightest. If some of you find that he is intimidating now, you should have been a snot-nosed E-2 right out of high school in his platoon at basic training. THAT would have been intimidating to say the least. Having to low crawl "the pit" in the pouring rain and in full gear for an hour or so because one of your battle-buddies messed up tends to put the fear of God into ya. Expecially knowing that HE has the authority to put you there any time he feels the urge.
Back to top Go down
http://revtommyrogers.tripod.com/
skarekr0
Admin
Admin
skarekr0

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 5:47 pm

straboh wrote:
I think he has the rep he has because of his military background. Most people who serve get out of the "lifestyle" of the way things were when they were enilsted, but if you are in for a long period of time and in a command role it tends to stick with you for longer. He was a Drill Sgt. I believe??? US Army also, I believe, which means he was at least an E-6 when he decided to ETS. In many cases the way you present yourself and your actions and manorisms stay with you long after your enlistment ends. I know because it took me over 2 years before I could stand in a line at the bank or a wal-mart checkout without standing at attention or parade-rest. And still to this day I have no problem what so ever being thrown into a situation where I am in charge and supervising a group of people.

Fun is fun, sure, but as we go through these classes they are supposed to get less " fun " to a degree as we are supposed to be evolving as IT professional personel and taking the cirriculum a little more seriously. These classes make a huge difference between making $ 12,000 a year valu-sizing a combo meal, and starting out at $ 80,000 a year plus at a good company or even starting your own buisness. I personally plan to at least try to go to work for myself and start my own small computer service/repair buisness. I hate punching someone elses clock for a living.

Long story short, he does not intimidate me in the slightest. If some of you find that he is intimidating now, you should have been a snot-nosed E-2 right out of high school in his platoon at basic training. THAT would have been intimidating to say the least. Having to low crawl "the pit" in the pouring rain and in full gear for an hour or so because one of your battle-buddies messed up tends to put the fear of God into ya. Expecially knowing that HE has the authority to put you there any time he feels the urge.
I'm sorry man, I didn't mean to send you into a flashback episode. lol!
RED TEAM GO!
Back to top Go down
Jlong
Admin
Admin
Jlong

Number of posts : 228

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Lol, why does everything around here go back to the military?
Back to top Go down
https://wtistudents1.forumotion.com
Chutson
WTI Regular
WTI Regular
Chutson

Number of posts : 76

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Jlong wrote:
Lol, why does everything around here go back to the military?

I'm wondering the same thing.. Thread Killer
Back to top Go down
grasshoppa
WTI Nub
WTI Nub
grasshoppa

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-12-12

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 10:21 am

Gulick lightens up after the first week or so. I know some shit went down with 'political correctness' or whatever you wanna call it,(not with him personally) so he has had to tone it down a bit and watch what he says. I am pretty sure that when he was in the miltary he was a medic though. I could be wrong :/ I know I sure miss having him as my teacher... You guys can trade me Gulick for Rob Smile lol.. Ya just gotta learn to know when he is serious or being a smartass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tonysgirl77
Custom_Bladez
WTI Nub
WTI Nub
Custom_Bladez

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-29

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 3:00 am

I think a large majority of us are prior service, so that tends to put us in a slightly different frame of mind. I respect my instructor and he really knows his s*^t and I'm quite sure he can smell the fear from those who give it off lol. just concider these classes as boot and when you graduate it's all gravy from there....
we are all proffesionals, the instructors are just doing their best to bring out the best in all of us..
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/compu_techz
|<0rrupT$ect0r
WTI Nub
WTI Nub

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-01-23

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 10:24 am

I think maybe he just cares about what the students actually learn.
Back to top Go down
skarekr0
Admin
Admin
skarekr0

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Ok, I repeat.. Mr.Gullick is not the problem. it's the students in his class that are the problem. They're too up tight, like they're scared of him or something.
What I observed last thursday appeased me though, the class is lightening up a little bit, so my complaint is fading.

As for Mr.Gullick and the rest of the teachers... they do care, which is what sets this school apart.
Back to top Go down
|<0rrupT$ect0r
WTI Nub
WTI Nub

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 12:47 pm

I would also like to see the rest of the class lighten up, a little. But I still think we need to act as adults. I know that I don't want to push him too far.
Back to top Go down
skarekr0
Admin
Admin
skarekr0

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 11:45 pm

|<0rrupT$ect0r wrote:
I would also like to see the rest of the class lighten up, a little. But I still think we need to act as adults. I know that I don't want to push him too far.

Definitely, it has to be an equal show of respect, there's a time for work and a time for play.
Back to top Go down
Custom_Bladez
WTI Nub
WTI Nub
Custom_Bladez

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-29

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 12:27 am

I second that opinion my friend!! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/compu_techz
straboh
WTI Nub
WTI Nub
straboh

Number of posts : 21

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 9:47 am

More like A+ but not to the extreme of Fundamentals. A nice healthy medium area would be nice.
Back to top Go down
http://revtommyrogers.tripod.com/
HacidicEnforcer
WTI Regular
WTI Regular
HacidicEnforcer

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2009-01-04

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 8:44 am

Last night was fun. Cool Laughing Maybe it's cause it's the new week?

I didn't sense any tension other than mine (personal issue).

Seemed like a bit tamer version of Mr. Rosas' class. Wink

I am glad to have heard one of the other students pick on Jesse too. Only there for a week and already starting to blend into our class!

(I think our class is going to make them twisted just like us?) Twisted Evil

Okay, back to sleep. Yawn Only woke up cause someone texted me at o'dark-thirty to tell me good morning. Mad

There will be blood flying today now. Cuss
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hacidicenforcer
|<0rrupT$ect0r
WTI Nub
WTI Nub

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 4:59 pm

I honestly don't understand why anyone would be afraid for Mr. Gulick.
Back to top Go down
skarekr0
Admin
Admin
skarekr0

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 6:14 pm

|<0rrupT$ect0r wrote:
I honestly don't understand why anyone would be afraid for Mr. Gulick.
I don't either honestly, he's a good teacher and a fun person to converse with, not to mention very knowledgeable

Last edited by skarekr0 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A week in... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A week in...   A week in... Empty

Back to top Go down

A week in...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WTI Student Forum's :: IT Classes :: MCP-
Jump to: