WTI Student Forum's
WTI Student Forum's
WTI Student Forum's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WTI Student Forum's

Welcome to the WTI Students forum! Here we can ask each other questions about homework, post key points to study, talk about something that happened at school, or just random conversation. Its up to you!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

what would you have done?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
HacidicEnforcer
WTI Regular
WTI Regular
HacidicEnforcer

Number of posts : 128
Field : I.T.
Registration date : 2009-01-04

what would you have done? Empty
PostSubject: what would you have done?   what would you have done? EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 11:29 pm

If you were in this student's shoes, what would you have done?

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=9705683&nav=menu486_2_2
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hacidicenforcer
skarekr0
Admin
Admin
skarekr0

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: what would you have done?   what would you have done? EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 12:30 am

How about being an adult and approaching the teacher or person and telling them that they have offended me and ask them to politely to refrain from making such comments.

The teacher in question was not even "out of bounds" so to speak. His statement was no more offensive then the drastic news coverage in regards to his election.. both are based on the color of his skin and the last time I checked, we have the freedom of opinions and views. While they may be incorrect (via perspective), he is still entitled to them and should be permitted to speak freely regarding said opinions. If it's offensive, then the offended should approach that person and ask him to refrain from speaking his views.
I may agree that school is for furthering education and not to discuss politics, but it was a student who had asked the instructor to turn it on and we have to keep in mind that our instructors are humans beings just as the students are and have thoughts that venture outside of the curriculum.

Personally, I think the student in question was looking for 15 minutes of fame. I don't think she was offended or hurt by his comments otherwise she would have approached the instructor or the instructors supervisor and not the media. It's not as if he was shouting out racial slurs or anything of that nature.

By the way, This is coming from a "black" male contrary to skin color.
Back to top Go down
Chutson
WTI Regular
WTI Regular
Chutson

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: what would you have done?   what would you have done? EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 1:32 am

I agree with Kyle.
Back to top Go down
Jlong
Admin
Admin
Jlong

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: what would you have done?   what would you have done? EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 9:14 am

I would have said something in class(depending on how much he was really "putting down" people who voted for him, as I am proud to say I voted for him). It might of even lead to me going to talk to Mr. Moore. But I would never have spoken to the news.
Back to top Go down
https://wtistudents1.forumotion.com
straboh
WTI Nub
WTI Nub
straboh

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: what would you have done?   what would you have done? EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 9:39 am

Fact is, that there is a chain of command in every organization and institution. EVERYBODY knows that when you have a problem with one link in a chain, you go to the next link above to have the problem fixed. That is like...what.. third grade knowledge??? Going strait to the media instead of Mr. Moor is like tapping in a finishing nail with a 5 lb. sledge. Dramatic overkill! And yes I believe that the student in question saw this as a chance to cash in on the spotlight and get some attention. That is pretty messed up concidering that you could destroy or even just seriously damage an instructors career and means of supporting his family just to get your name in the papers. And....let's be honest. In ten years NO ONE will remember the students name, but sadly everyone will still remember the instructors.
Back to top Go down
http://revtommyrogers.tripod.com/
HacidicEnforcer
WTI Regular
WTI Regular
HacidicEnforcer

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: what would you have done?   what would you have done? EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 11:25 am

Post edited by Jlong: Please remain professional and refrain from using any obscene profanity.

I believe she went overboard.

Funny, I heard her say there was another student visibly upset, but they have not spoken out.

I don't know how many times Mr. Rosas has brought up questions in class and we have gotten into a healthy discussion about it.

I know a few times I did get offended, but damn it, man, I am not a (Edited by JLONG: Watch the language please, lets keep this discussion professional) kid anymore! This is life in the big grown up world. If you can't take it, go back home with mommy. Seriously.

What she did was wrong and I personally believe she should be dropped. She violated the chain of command which is what was HAMMERED into us not only for orientation, but EVERY TIME we start a new class!

There is a REASON we have those rules handed to us EVERY time we changed classes. It's not because WTI likes to cut down trees. They know we have the same damn rulebooks at home in triplicates by now.

You know that the next class she is in, they are going to remember this. The teacher is going to close him/herself off.

The thing I like most about WTI is that the teachers are human too. They talk to us like mature adults, not like robots just doing a job. They make it FUN to learn there.

And seriously, she got to WATCH a part of history. I guess she didn't hear the commentary going on DURING the show from the NEWSCASTERS. Biased there too, ya know.

Maybe I should go to the media about how I am forced to miss days and be counted absent every time a Jewish holiday comes up, but we get Christmas off? Does that make WTI anti-Semitic? Where's my 15 minutes of fame?

Geesh. You go to an adult-based technical COLLEGE and you think they are going to (Edited by Jlong: Once again, watch the language please) around you? Holy hell, the youngest person I have met was 18 and they had no qualms saying or hearing some bold things.

Maybe she should have gone to UOP Online.

If she has a problem with her instructor now, how is she going to handle when her boss tells a colorful joke or when a co-worker says a slightly sexual inneuendo? She is a female in a Man's world.

So do as I have done. Grow up, missy. Grow up and grab some steel ones and get some super glue. In this world, even the women need some steel balls and thick skin to get by. If you thought WTI was offensive, I wish you luck when you start dealing with the rest of humanity.

(And no, I do not have steel balls. Being metaphorical and sh!t.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hacidicenforcer
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what would you have done?   what would you have done? Empty

Back to top Go down

what would you have done?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WTI Student Forum's :: Controlled Chaos :: Politics-
Jump to: